Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bread

Honestly, Mark Bittman's amazing cookbook, How to Cook Everything, is a must-own. I would say it's a must-buy, but I got it as a birthday present and that worked out awfully well for me. This post is about the bread recipes in his book, which are great, but they are also a small portion of the book. The whole thing is full of dope recipes.

During the first quarter of my life (i.e. until this year) (that's right you heard me), I was scared of making bread. In my teenage years, I believe I may have had some magical thinking about bread-making, e.g. that it required all kinds of special equipment, ingredients, and special chants. Everyone else I know who makes bread at home is really good at it and has lots of experience, so I always thought it was pointless to try. But that's no kind of attitude to have so I decided to turn my frown upside down. Thank Jebus for Mark Bittman - he taught me how to make bread.

Seriously, I recommend that you buy his cookbook and read the entire section on breadmaking before you start. It is demystifying and empowering. You don't need no stinking breadmaker. You could use a stand-mixer with a dough hook, or a good food processor (I do tend to use one or the other when I'm making bread but you don't NEED them). Mark Bittman (I call him M. Bitty) will show you the way.

Here is the RECIPE FOR THE EASIEST AND BEST FRENCH BREAD from the Great Taste Coaster blog. They also back me up on how you should own this book now.

CLH TIP: Steam is necessary for the delicious crustiness of the crust. If you don't have a spray bottle (like I didn't) don't just throw water from a mug onto the sides of a 400 degree oven (like I did). I'm sure you're smarter than me and wouldn't think of it, but one never knows. I have an advanced degree and still thought it was better to go ahead and steam my face off. Just go buy a spray bottle - you can do it while the dough is rising.

I've also made the whole wheat sandwich bread (pretty good) and the brioche (awesome) and I am going to do a few more brioche loaves before I try challah. Challah back young'n (sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search