Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Getting Comfortable in the Kitchen

At least for me, it was important to get comfortable in the kitchen before I started to try Real Cooking. This cooking in this blog is meant to be Real Cooking for Beginners, but I've been doing a much better job with Real Cooking because let myself become familiar with basic kitchen processes. Feeling like a dunce in the kitchen can be the CAUSE, not just the result, of Fail Dinners! So if you feel like a non-cook, you can start out slow like I did.

A great way to do this is making easy-to-assemble meals that only require you to really cook the toppings. One of the first things I did was make spaghetti (just boil it) with pasta sauce (just pour it from the jar) with meat (which you kind of have to cook). Pre-cooked sausages are the easiest! I like to use Amy's Chicken Sausage. Cut the links up into chunks. Heat up some olive oil in a pan, and sautee the sausage chunks in the olive oil. Then add your pasta sauce and sautee for a couple of minutes. As you can see, you are using pots and pans, and oil and ingredients, but you aren't really cooking. It's idiot proof and delicious, and you get pretty comfortable sauteeing.

Another really yummy way to get comfortable with the stove is "homemade" pizza. You can buy pizza crusts and pizza sauce packets from Whole Foods. Then you can create your own pizza with whatever cheese and toppings you want. This makes me feel like I have created a "recipe" - it's all about building confidence, yo. I like to use shredded mozzarella and sometimes gouda. I learned HOW TO CARAMELIZE ONIONS FROM ALLRECIPES.COM. Except I use a buttload of brown sugar. After deglazing once, I add a few slices of turkey bacon and a little more brown sugar and, if necessary, oil, and cook until the turkey bacon is crispy. This makes a really tasty, sweet n' savory Brown Sugar Caramelized Onion & Bacon pizza. After making this a few times, I felt pretty safe in the kitchen and moved on to the recipes you see (and will see) here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search